Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Now a Fire Widow too!

Fire training has started tonight. It will be 2 nights a week for the next 4 months. Ugh! At least this is a set schedule and not the usual fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants schedule that I usually have to live with. But it's all good as thus has really helped him meet some guys in our new neighborhood now that, because of his "real" job, hasn't had time to do. Nice thing for me is most of them are also married so that automatically gets me a few more women friends with common interests as with all my pilot wives!
The more I think this through there a re a lot of different advantages for me with this new fire job too. Besides meeting the wives, several of the firemen are also police in our city and a couple are county sheriffs so I have that little security blanket (literally) and there is now 30 men I can get to know better and call on for assistance is something catastrophically goes wrong with the house while he's on a trip, which all of us pilot wives know that is an inevitable thing...something always happens at least once a year!
The kids are already used to him being gone and they are getting kick out of knowing what's going on around the city before everyone else knows. Of course the joke in the fire hall is that our kids best not do anything "bad" in town or else their dad WILL find out about it because of what he does now. One of the other dads jokingly told us that he told his kids they better go at least two counties over if they plan on being delinquents. I thought that was good humor!

1 comment:

  1. I think its a great idea to really become part of a community. Its a great example for your children. Its true, it sure does make it harder to misbehave. They cant hide behind annonimity anymore.

    ReplyDelete